$25 Cabinet Makeover

I wanted to refinish my kitchen cabinets but I don't have a lot of money to hire someone and I didn't want to remove them all and strip them and paint them. I wanted to use something that could just go directly over the top of the finish.
They were an oak color and I wanted them darker around the detail. I searched the internet and found this stuff called Old Masters 80708 1 Pint Gel Stain, Dark Walnut. It was very inexpensive in price and one quart did all my kitchen cabinets and I had quite a bit left over.

Before the gel stain:



This what it looks like afterwards!




All you need is:

1 Qt. Old Masters Gel stain of the color you want your cabinets
Old Masters 80708 1 Pint Gel Stain, Dark Walnut

About 3-4 old cut up t-shirts or rags
Latex gloves

2-3 sponge brushes

Spray or can of polyurethane to coat (can will need a brush)

Steps:

1- Wash your cabinets off as good as you can get them. (any dents or imperfections will only add to the character when the dark covers it so don't stress about sanding)


2- If you prefer to take off the cabinet doors off you can, I just left mine on and open. (I did not do the insides of my doors) Tape off your walls!

3- Then put on your gloves and open the can of gel stain. Dip in your sponge brush and generously paint it on the doors. It will be dark.

4- Take your rag and after about 30 sec to 1 min, start wiping it off gently in the direction you want the streaks to follow. (Be consistent on every door) Keep wiping until its as dark or light as you want it. The cracks and detail will have excess in them that gives them that dark detail.

5- Once you have it how you want it DONT go over it again. After it has dried a little it will streak really bad and you cant fix it very good until it has completely cured. Don't be scared you really cant screw it up too bad. This is pretty simple to do.

6- After you have done the doors you will want to do the sides of the cabinet and the front facing pieces behind the doors that show. Apply it the same way and wipe it off gently

( A Magic Eraser will take off any drops or splatter that fall on the floor, counter top or walls)

Get your Old Masters 80708 1 Pint Gel Stain, Dark Walnut here and Transform Your Cabinets for less!

If you Loved this Idea PLEASE Share!

Comments

Popular Posts